Monday, February 25, 2013

Turning A New Page

One year & one month ago I made the decision to live healthier & lose weight. My doctor had just informed my that my blood test showed I had high cholesterol & high triglycerides which put me at a high risk for heart disease; heart attack & stroke. Those are some scary words & as a then 24 year old it was a difficult diagnose to swallow. It was unexpected. After that I really put all of my energy into exercise & eating healthier. I thought that I could lower my cholesterol the natural way. To my surprise it helped a little bit. In September I followed up with new blood work & my results showed that my triglycerides went from 262 to 143, my LDL (bad cholesterol) from 150-149 & my HDL (good cholesterol) had gone down even lower (not a good thing) numbers were weird & still not healthy but I was so happy that with my lifestyle change I was able to lower my bad numbers, even if just by a little bit. Over the last 5 months I have lost some weight but mostly have maintained. I am ready to go further  & meet my goal weight. Today I signed up for Weight Watchers. My great friend Amber (& others I know) have had such a great success with this program. So today I turned a new page on this journey to being healthier & more fit. I've missed the gym for a few weeks because of pneumonia but I am ready to get back tomorrow. This process has been a roller coaster no doubt! This one year & one month has left me feeling successful & proud of myself. So far I have lost 25 pounds but plan to lose another 19 pounds. Although it did take me a long time to lose the weight, I am happy that I did it at my pace, the way that it worked for me, & with the support of my husband, family, & friends. I will soon be getting new blood work to determine how much this weight loss has helped lower my LDL cholesterol. I am confident & ready to take on this new challenge. 

Are you taking on any new challenges health wise? What are some of your successes? 

Beatriz
  

No comments:

Post a Comment